Scientific Instrument Commission publications include Scientific Instruments and Collections series of volumes from Brill, ongoing thematic series, a cumulative bibliographic database, and occasional Papers and Proceedings from past symposia and workshops. In addition, the Commission has had a distinct and identifiable section within an annual issue of the journal Nuncius.
Minutes of the general meetings of the annual SIC symposia are posted under the respective past conference.
SIC sections in Nuncius
2004 section contained a series of papers titled “SIC Instrument Case Studies 1850-1950” from the XXIth (Athens, 2002) and XXIIth (Newport News, 2003) Symposia of the SIC (edited with an introduction by Jim Bennett).
2003 section offered the second group of from the The Making of the Spectroscope workshop held at the Deutsches Museum (Munich, 2001).
2002 section offered the first group of papers from the The Making of the Spectroscope workshop held at the Deutsches Museum (Munich, 2001).
2001 section presented papers read at the “Archives of Instrument Dealers and Collectors” session at the XIXth Scientific Instrument Symposium (Oxford, 2000).
Publications from Symposia and Workshops of the Scientific Instrument Commission
- Proceedings of the XXV Scientific Instrument Symposium held in Krakow in September 2006. Title: “Proceedings of the XXV Scientific Instrument Symposium “East and West The Common European Heritage,” (Jagiellonian University Museum, Kracow, 2006), 335 pages, (ISBN 978-83-88659-51-5).
- Proceedings of the “Scientific Instruments and Museums” section of the XXth International Congress of History of Science in Liège, 20-26 July 1997. Title: “Scientific Instruments and Museums,” ed. Maurice Dorikens (Turnhout: Brepols Publishers, Belgium, 2002). ISBN 2-503-51369-7.
- The Restoration of Scientific Instruments. Proceedings of the Workshop held in Florence, December 14-15, 1998 (Le Lettere, Florence: 2000). 113 pages. ISBN 88 7166 501 5. Price 18,08 Euro. This publication may be ordered from www.licosa.com.
- Proceedings of the 11th International Scientific Instrument Symposium: Bologna University, Italy, 9-14 September 1991, ed. Giorgio Dragoni, Anita McConnell and Gerard L’E Turner (Bologna: Grafis, 1994).
- An Apparatus of Instruments: the Role of the Scientific Instrument Commission, ed. R.G.W. Anderson and G.L’E Turner (London, 1993) is a booklet containing articles based on a few of the papers presented to the XIIth Scientific Instrument Symposium held in Edinburgh in 1992.
- Studies in the History of Scientific Instruments: Papers Presented at the 7th Symposium of the Scientific Instruments Commission of the Union Internationale d’Histoire et de Philosophie des Sciences. Paris 15-19 September 1987, ed. Christine Blondel, Françoise Parot, Anthony Turner and Mari Williams (London: Rogers Turner Books Ltd, 1989).
- Nineteenth-century scientific instruments and their makers: Papers Presented at the Fourth Scientific Instrument Symposium, Amsterdam 23-26 October 1984, ed. P.R. de Clercq (Leiden: Museum Boerhaave; Amsterdam: Rodopi, 1985).